Pit Bulls are some of the most commonly misidentified dogs in the world today. The American Pit Bull Terrier is the only true Pit Bull but, over time, the word Pit Bull has changed to be used as a type of dog, like a hound or a terrier. Unfortunately, that leads to quite a bit of misinformation being out there in the world today!
One of the biggest problems with misinformation around the Pit Bull is that of the bite statistics. They continuously rank high on the Dog Bite List because multiple breeds are being counted as one. For example, in 2016 there were 31 dog bite-related deaths in the United States, 22 of which were committed by so-called Pit Bulls. The problem here is that a Pit Bull can be one of up to 20 breeds in the United States, meaning that the statistics are wildly inaccurate. Let’s take a look at five dog breeds that are often mistaken for Pit Bulls.
5. The lovable Boxer is a very playful dog breed originating from Germany. They are known for being loyal, energetic, and extremely cheerful. They make wonderful family pets but are often misidentified because of their head shape, although they have a very different muzzle shape than the American Pit Bull Terrier.
4. The Cane Corso, or Italian Mastiff, is an extremely large dog breed that is often referred to as a Pit Bull because of its blocky head and stocky body. However, they are much bigger than a true American Pit Bull Terrier. They are a quiet and reserved dog breed that is not afraid to fight to defend himself or his family.
3. Dogo Argentinos are a brave and fiercely protective breed that was originally designed to help hunt big game such as boars in their origin country of Argentina. Their blocky heads and general build are the number one reason they often referred to as Pit Bulls even though it is far from the truth!
2. The American Staffordshire Terrier is a loyal and friendly pup, who will go to the ends of the Earth for their owner. They are extremely devoted and attentive to their families, so they make wonderful pets for people who are willing to put in the time and effort. Their big blocky heads are the main reason that they have unfortunately been lumped under the Pit Bull label.
1. The Boerboel is a large dog from South Africa that was bred to work on the local farms. They are one of the largest and most powerful dog breeds in the world. However, they are also extremely intelligent and obedient, so with the right owner, they can make terrific family pets! Their huge faces and droopy jaws are the main reason they are so often misidentified.