We use cookies for analytics, advertising and to improve our site. You agree to our use of cookies by closing this message box or continuing to use our site. To find out more, including how to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy.

Tiny Baby Nearly Loses Toes After Strand Of Hair Cuts Off Circulation For Hours - Mom Issues Dire Warning

news latest
October 04, 2018

A mother in Paignton, Devon, England is thanking her lucky stars today after her ten-week-old son narrowly escaped a life-changing injury. And the worst part is that it came at the hands of a perfectly innocent culprit, but one that nearly caused her little boy to lose his toes.

"A 10-week-old boy is recovering after nearly losing four of his toes when a strand of his mother’s hair became tangled on his foot, cutting off the baby’s circulation for at least 12 hours," his mother says.


Describing her son’s ordeal as “a horrible experience” 28-year-old Charlene Upton is just grateful that her baby’s incessant crying alerted her to what was going on. Upton woke up to 10-week-old Ezra’s screaming and she was puzzled that he refused to take his normal feeding, but instead continued his unrelenting crying.

It was then that Upton noticed that Ezra’s toes were red and swollen. Wondering if he had been bitten by an insect, she examined his toes more closely. It was then that she realized what had happened.


People reports, ”The concerned mom of two looked closer and saw that a single strand of her long, brown hair had become wrapped around his toes, and was cutting off the baby’s blood circulation.”

She almost failed to discover the errant hair because it was so deeply embedded in her son’s skin. All she knew was that she had to remove it - FAST!!

“It must have been on there for 12 to 14 hours because I only noticed it in the morning,” Upton said. “I pulled at it and realized how tightly it’d wrapped around his toes. It’d tangled around three or four of them. I felt awful.”


The frightened mom tried for 15 minutes to remove the embedded hair before she was ultimately successful. She explains that she ended up using tweezers to grasp and sever the hair so she could unwrap it from its stubborn position. Upton then rushed her injured baby to the doctor who treated the injury to prevent infection.

"A hair tourniquet can occur when babies even just a strand of hair ends up in places like a diaper, or sock without a parent noticing,” according to Today. “The strand can wrap around a baby’s toe, finger, or umbilical stump so tight that it can cut through the skin and cut off blood circulation.”


Upton wants to warn all mothers about the near-tragedy she and Ezra narrowly averted.

“My advice to any parents would be when you’re changing [your baby] or putting on socks, or even getting them out of the bath, check thoroughly and make sure you turn clothing inside out first to remove any stray hair.”


She goes on to say, “Hair easily gets stuck in things when they’ve been in the washing machine too, so it’s important to check.”

We're so glad that Ezra will make a full recovery and are grateful that Ms. Upton chose to share her story with the world. We hope that her story will prevent similar tragedies from happening to other sweet darlings.

This is NOT an isolated case. To see another similar story, watch the video, below.

Next: GPS Blamed For Horrific Crash That Killed Entire Family Of 4 - After Device Gives Driver Fatal InstructionsSep 19, 2018