There’s always something new on social media, and young people are always eager to try it out. We’ve had the ‘ice bucket challenge’ - the 'cinnamon challenge’ - the 'Tide pod challenge. With each new stunt getting a bit more dangerous than the previous one.
Now, we may have crossed a line with the most recent activity that has become all the rage over social media, and it is sending kids to the hospital when things go awry.
The ‘Fire Challenge,’ involves a person dousing himself with a flammable liquid “and then setting the liquids aflame, while being video recorded. The aftermath is then posted to social media sites.”
No one knows how such a bizarre and potentially-deadly form of amusement ever grabbed hold of young people, but it has and is making its rounds across social media platforms. And kids are being injured - some seriously.
“The first known fire challenge video was uploaded in 2012. The activity gained mainstream media attention in 2014. Firefighters, police officers and media sources have chastised and spoken out against the activity, hoping to dissuade individuals from trying it due to its harmful nature."
Now the trick has caused serious injury to a 12-year-old Detroit girl who burst into flames while trying this activity.
According to Metro News, “Timiyah Landers screamed ‘Help me’ at her mother after being engulfed by flames after dousing herself in rubbing alcohol and setting herself alight.
“Her mother Brandi Owens and her fiance Marquell Sholar frantically put the youngster out, and rushed her to hospital. The prank turned into something more serious than the fun-and-games Timayah was looking for.
“But Timiyah is now on a ventilator in intensive care with almost half her body covered in second and third-degree burns. She will spend several months in the hospital and will undergo around four grueling surgeries.
"She attempted the dangerous challenge after being told that one of the other girls had previously attempted it at her home, and only sustained minor burns."
What was supposed to have resulted in only minor burns turned Timaya into ‘a fireball’ and the 12-year-old’s mom "thinks the perfumes and body spray her daughter was wearing at the time may have sent the fire out of control.”
“WAITING ON MY BABY TO COME OUT OF SURGERY PLEASE STOP THESE CHALLENGES PEOPLE PLEASE TELL YOUR KIDS NOT TO DO THESE YOU TUBE CHALLENGES THIS IS THE OUT COME OF IT”
Ms. Owens is naturally upset that her daughter has to go through the agony of recovery from second and third-degree burns, but it seems as though she is taking a philosophical viewpoint after-the-fact, saying “They weren’t expecting it to go that way. It was just a challenge, so it’s a lesson learned for all of them.”
“PUT A END TO THESE CHALLENGES IT HAS TO STOP YOU TUBE NEEDS TO DELETE THESE CHALLENGES AND NOT LET PEOPLE POST THIS CRAZY [S***] ITS COSTING THESE KIDS THERE LIFES RADTHER THEY KNOW RIGHT FROM WRONG THESE KIDS ARE TRYING WHAT THE SEE ON SOCIAL MEDIA”
Ms. Owens shared her anguish with her Facebook friends, and made an impassioned plea to parents about the dangers of this ‘challenge.’
“ATTENTION PARENTS PLEASE PLEASE WATCH WHAT UR KIDS DOING OR WATCHING WHEN IT COMES TO THIS SOCIAL MEDIA MY DAUGHTER TIMIYAH WAS SET ON FIRE YESTERDAY DO TO THE FIRE CHALLENGE THATS ON YOU TUBE AND ALMOST COST HER HER LIFE THANK GOD ME AND MY BAE WAS HOME CAUSE MY BABY WOULDNT BE HERE
"WE HAD TO GET THE FIRE OFF HER MY BABY FROM KNEES UP TO HER HAIR IS BURNT PLEASE BE AWARE OF THIS DAMN FIRE CHALLENGE THATS GOING ON ON SOCIAL MEDIA IM ASKING YALL TO KEEP ME UPLIFTED IN PRAYER AND PRAY FOR MY DAUGHTER SHE HAVE. A LONG LONG WAYS TO GO FOR RECOVERY.”
We wish Timayah a speedy recovery and hope that she - and thousands of other teens and children contemplating taking part in this dubious stunt - will think twice before joining in on a seemingly-harmless activity.