The joke in my family is that my 95-year-old grandma is going to outlive us all. Born in August of 1923, the youngest of six children, my grandma grew up in Seattle, Washington, and she has lived her entire life in the greater Northwest. This firecracker of a woman lives alone, still drives in Seattle traffic, tends to her garden, golfs, spends hours every week volunteering at a local thrift shop, and goes on cruises with all her single friends several times a year.
A couple of years ago my grandma drove me around downtown Seattle to meet up with the rest of our family. I remember riding shotgun, being both thrilled and terrified, as she weaved and navigated through the stop-and-go traffic. I grasped my seat tightly, amazed and terrorized, as my then-92-year-old grandma was having a case of road rage because the cars in front of her were not moving at the speed she expected. Oh, Grandma!
Recently, I had the privilege of going on vacation with my grandma. I took advantage of this opportunity because I didn't know if or when I would get the chance to do it again. During our time together, she told me stories of her childhood, gave me wisdom for my life, and shared her belief that life always turns out better than we expect. I'm so grateful to have had this opportunity, and for all the wisdom she has imparted into my life. Here are 11 surprising facts about grandparents:
1. Grandparents love being grandparents... okay, that's not a surprise. 90% talk about their grandkids to just about anyone and everyone. 72% think being a grandparent is the single most important role in their life
2. They are younger than before. 60% are baby-boomer grandparents.
3. Grandparents are active. 43% exercise and play sports. 28% volunteer on a regular basis.
4. Grandparents work. 60% have full-time jobs
5. Grandparents are more adventurous than ever before. 18% dance. 17% have attended a rally. 15% have demonstrated for a cause. 10% have a tattoo. 6% have started a blog. 3% have run a marathon. 2% have gone skydiving
6. Many are in relationships. 33% of them have been married more than once.
7. Grandparents are trendy. Grey hair is in! 50% of the population will have grey hair by 50, but don't fret - you started a trend among the young people of the world.
8. Grandparents just want to have fun! They spend $100 billion each year on entertainment. They spend $77 billion each year on travel.
9. Grandparents have money. They control 75% of the wealth in America. Their average net worth is over $250,000. 55% of grandparents have no mortgage. (I can't even imagine)
10. Grandparents are givers. They give 45% of the nation's cash contributions to nonprofits.
11. GRANDPARENTS LOVE TO SPEND TIME WITH THEIR GRANDCHILDREN... not a surprise again. 60% wish they could live even closer. 70% see their grandchildren at least once a week. 66% travel with their grandchildren. 81% have their grandkids for part or all of their summer vacations. 72% of them take care of their grandchildren on a regular basis. 13% are primary caregivers.
Where would we be without our grandparents in our lives? As a grandchild, I am so grateful to have my grandma in my life!! There is no one who could ever take her place. Thank you, Grandma, for being the best grandma to me!! xoxo
If you loved this story, be sure to share it with your friends on Facebook!
Statistics via grandparents.com