Since we were little, we’ve heard the wive’s tale, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away.” Aside from being absolutely delicious, apples have tremendous health benefits that every person can benefit from. After doing a little research, we set out to discover the best apples for a person’s health. However, it wasn’t long after we began our search that we realized one thing: this world has tons of apples; 7,500 varieties to be exact!
From Red Delicious to the Raritan, and Granny Smith to the Golden Noble, apples of the world range in everything from size, crunch, tartness, sweetness, color, and usage. Some apples are perfect for pies, while some or better for juicing, and some are just simply better for your health. In our quest to find which apples were best for us, were shocked to learn so much about apples! Below are some interesting facts about the ever- delicious fruit:
• 2,500 varieties are native to the United States
• 7,500 varieties are native throughout the world
• Only 100 varieties are grown commercially in the US- the rest are grown organically
• Apples are free of fats, sodium, and cholesterol
• A medium-size apple (the size of your palm) is only about 80 calories
• Apples are very high in fiber (One apple has 5 grams of fiber!)
• Most of the fiber is found in the skin of the apple
• Apple skin is packed with Antioxidants which help reduce damage to cells and fight against diseases.
• Fresh apples (from a Farmer’s Market) have the highest levels of antioxidants.
So, now that you know all of those facts, which apples should you be eating?! Here are some of the top apples for your health:
• Organic Granny Smith. Granny Smith Apples have the highest levels of natural plant substances (known as phytonutrients) which fight diseases such as lung, colon, and liver cancer. They will also lower cholesterol, boost your immune system, and lower your blood sugar. They also help to brighten teeth and make your gums healthier.
• Honeycrisp: This is my all- time favorite apple. It’s got the perfect amount of sweetness, tang, crispness, and it's one the highest in antioxidants! The best part about the Honeycrisp is that it’s one of the top-rated apples that can be purchased in a grocery store, and you don’t even have to buy organic to get the benefits! Score!
• Organic Braeburn: This is one of the best apples for snacking! It’s got a perfect crunch to it and it’s not overly juicy. It’s also a strikingly beautiful apple! In fact, did you know that this bi-colored fruit’s beauty is actually what gives it it’s health benefits? The Braeburn’s mostly red and slightly green skin means that it was surely exposed to the sun, which ultimately gives extra supplies of phytonutrients (those are the disease-fighting chemicals found in the skin).
So, if you want to be sure to live healthier, naturally, now you have a little bit more direction when choosing the famous fruit that is known to keep you out of the doctor’s office!