We use cookies for analytics, advertising and to improve our site. You agree to our use of cookies by closing this message box or continuing to use our site. To find out more, including how to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy.

Tragic Death At Movie Theater Brings Spotlight To The Dangers Of … Movie Theater Seats?

March 22, 2018

Tragedy struck in Birmingham, England, when a young father was killed by his movie theater seat. 24-year-old Ateeq Rafiq was watching a movie on March 9, when he accidentally dropped his phone. The movie theater he was at offered electric reclining chairs, so he climbed out of his seat and began to search underneath for his missing phone.

Unfortunately, the chair began to close up, and his head became pinned by the footrest. The chair had clamped down, and it wasn’t letting go, so his partner and theater staff fought hard to free him. Eventually, they managed to break the footrest and pull him from the trap. By the time they freed him, he was unconscious and had suffered a heart attack.

After being saved with CPR, he was rushed to a local hospital. A week after the incident, on March 16, Rafiq passed away. He was unable to recover from the injuries caused by the footrest. Police and the theater are investigating the incident, and hope to be able to bring some light to the situation soon. In the meantime, be careful with your recliners!

This is a horrible story, and we know that sometimes we need a reminder of the good in the world after a horrible time like this, so be sure to check out the video below!