One of the biggest challenges for a first-time dog owner can be deciding what dog breed is right for them! That’s why we’ve gathered this list of the best breeds for first-time dog owners, from large dogs to small, we’ve got you covered! Of course, make sure to do further research before taking home one of these wonderful dogs as they’re sure to steal your heart in the best way possible!
5. The Labrador Retriever is one of the most beloved dogs around for many reasons. At around 60 pounds and two feet tall, this is a good-sized dog! Not too big, and definitely not too small. Unlike a lot of other breeds, they really don’t need to see a groomer very often unless you need help trimming their nails. They are also one of the friendliest and most happy-go-lucky pups around. Their activity level can be a bit much for a lot of people, so be prepared for quite a few walks when they’re younger. If you’re not up for that crazy level of activity, adopting an older Lab might be the perfect fit for you!
4. Poodles are one of the most popular breeds around nowadays, and they come in multiple sizes! There are toy poodles, who weigh in about six to nine pounds and are up to ten inches tall, the miniature poodles stand around 13 inches tall and weigh 16 pounds, and the largest of them, the Standard Poodle, stands around 22 inches tall at the shoulder and 50 pounds. These dogs are extremely intelligent, and will require some training to keep them from getting bored. However, these are also some of the most loving dogs around and are very loyal to their families. Unfortunately, they do require frequent trips to the groomer, every four to six weeks, to keep their coats in tip-top shape!
3. The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is a smaller breed, standing only 12 inches tall and weighing around 15 pounds. They are loyal dogs who love nothing more than spending their time with their owners, and don’t do very well if left alone for too long because they tend to get lonely. These are playful pups who have never met a stranger, and are more than happy to meet anyone and everyone they come across. The pups will need help with grooming on a regular basis in order to keep their coats looking perfect!
2. Yorkshire Terriers are one of the smaller dog breeds at only eight or nine inches tall and less than seven pounds. Grooming-wise they also require regular coat maintenance to make sure they don’t form mats in their fur which can give them serious health problems if left unchecked. A simple trip to the groomer and some regular brushing will be sure to keep that problem away! They are smart and self-assured, and adventurous! They do need to go through puppy training or else you may just come face-to-face with Little Dog Syndrome!
1. A purebred, All-American Mutt is one of the best choices for a first-time dog owner! They come in any size you can want, as well as any look you want! Their grooming requirements vary by the pup, so you’re sure to find one that fits your needs! These mutts are some of the most wonderful pets around, and there’s a mutt out there for everyone, just go check out your local shelter!