These days, it seems there is a lot of pressure to have the “perfect” Halloween costume, not only for our kids but also for ourselves! How did this happen? I remember when I was a kid, my typical costume consisted of a white sheet with holes cut out for eyes, or a plastic mask that I could barely see out of, not to mention how impossible it was to breathe properly while wearing either one!
Nowadays, the lengths parents go to, when decking-out their little darlings, are incredible! I have to admit that, when my daughters were young, I was known to conjure up homemade outfits: Snow White and one Dwarf; the classic but not-too-scary Witch; a Cheetah; and a little Devil that sported a wooden pitchfork lovingly crafted by my dad.
Those were wonderful days. The memories are so precious that I have even saved these ensembles and hope that, one day, my grandchildren will choose to wear them.
For those of us who are not destined to make costumes from scratch, we can run down to the neighborhood department store and find a wide array of reasonably-priced apparel for the holiday. If you are interested in something a little more unique, you can visit any of the many online costume outlets that stock the more intricately-designed ensembles.
We thought it would be fun to assemble some of the cutest costumes out there, both pre-made and homemade, to help spark your imagination and get you on the road to being Halloween-ready. Enjoy!
1. Watch out for this little guy! He just might take off flying around your barn and then try to build a nest in your hair! And guard your "belfry" - whatever that is!
2. No one could ever call this friendly little Frankenstein a “monster!” I think he's one of the good Doctor's greatest creations.
3. I’ve never seen a more Precious Peacock! She's proud as can be to be portraying this majestic bird.
4. This Petite Penguin came all the way from the South Pole just to go Trick-or-Treating with you!
5. Watch your step or “Cap’n Stinker” might make you walk the plank!
6. Don’t make this green guy mad. In fact, he recently told me, and I quote, “You won’t like me when I’m angry!”
7. "Ho-Ho-Ho!" This fellow must have gotten the dates mixed up on his social calendar; I think he wants the holiday that comes at the end of December!
8. I want to hang this from my rear view mirror! Do you think it will obstruct my view?
9. This Little Stinker should make friends with the sweet-smelling fellow, above...just in case!!
10. Little Leif here is ready to invade your neighborhood on Halloween night. Lock the gates and pull up the drawbridge or he'll raid and pillage your candy bowl, taking your Skittles and Starbursts hostage!
Still haven’t decided? Or maybe you just have your heart set on making something a little more unique. Never fear! We have some fabulous “create-it-yourself” outfits that some ingenious folks have fashioned for their little ones.
So if pre-made costumes are not your thing, you'll be interested in the next several ensembles. These artists have taken creativity to a whole new level with their clever and humorous get-ups!
11. Halloween is a night for "Nerds" - in more ways than one!!
12. Can I get this order Gluten-Free?
13. I hope you are rooting for “Da Bears” this season. If not, Coach Ditka might want to have a word with you when he comes to your door on Halloween night.
14. This humble house-elf would like to request that, instead of candy, you put an old sock in his Trick-or-Treat bag.
15. I think this cutie could get way more than 5¢ for one of his smooches.
16. I think we're gonna need a bigger pot!
17. Popcorn! Get yer popcorn! Hot, delicious, and adorable!
18. What a slick lifeline this little scuba diver has rigged up for his underwater adventures. He'll never have to make the difficult choice between his "pacie" and oxygen.
19. This little Sumo Wrestler is in training and he's following a very strict diet - He has to consume as many calories as possible so he can outsize his opponents. Help him achieve his goal by tossing a few extra Snickers bars into his treat bag, would you please?
20. If you're planning on Trick-or-Treating at Mr. Fredricksen's house, you'd better hurry before it floats away!
I think my two favs are the old man from "Up" and the Movie Popcorn baby. How about you?
No matter how you dress your little ones - whether it's a ready-to-wear costume or a personally-designed creation, they are sure to have the time of their life as long as you are there with them. Halloween is one of those holidays that is best spent with the ones you love the most, and we hope you are able to do just that!
Leave your comments, below, and tell us how you plan to dress up your precious pumpkins! Happy Halloween!